The Green Museum Project is a sustainability initiative developed by Museums Australia (Victoria) and made possible by the generous support of Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation with additional support from Creative Victoria.
Commencing July 2016, the Green Museum Project Manager has been offering practical training in Melbourne and regional hubs to staff and volunteers of Victorian museums and galleries on preventive conservation and environmental sustainability practices. Workshop participants gain the tools and knowledge to reduce energy use, save money, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve lighting facilities, reduce the risk of collections to light and ultraviolet damage, and position their organisation as a local leader in sustainability.
The Green Museum Project training program has been designed to complement the Museum Accreditation Program (MAP). Training is open to all museums and galleries operating in Victoria with priority given to MAP-Accredited and MAP-enrolled organisations. Participants are trained on how to:
- Conduct an energy and lighting audit to establish baseline measures.
- Measure and adjust exhibition and display lighting to meet conservation standards.
- Ensure long-term preservation of collection material through object rotation schedules.
- Create and implement an Environmental Sustainability Policy.
- Design an Action Plan for sustainable operations.
- Improved environmental performance and image.
- Staff trained for continued sustainability improvement activities.
- Environmental awareness and basic understanding of sustainability issues within the context of the cultural heritage sector.
- Identification and evaluation of possible solutions and alternate technologies and methodologies to increase organisational sustainability.
- Assistance with long-term preservation of collection material.
MAP-Accredited and MAP-enrolled organisations that undertake the training workshop are eligible to apply for funding to make improvements to exhibition spaces. The Project Manager will help museums with these improvements, alongside other MA (Vic) staff and external museum lighting experts.
For more information, please contact:
Simone Ewenson, Manager, Green Museum Project
Telephone: (03) 8341 7512
Regional freecall: 1800 680 082
Image: Solar panels installation on the Ballarat Tramway Museum depot roof. Photo: Peter Waugh.
The Green Museum Project is funded by Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation with additional support from Creative Victoria.