The Green Museum Project is a new sustainability initiative developed by Museums Australia (Victoria) and made possible by the generous support of Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation with additional support from Creative Victoria.
Commencing July 2016, the Green Museum Project Manager will be offering practical training in Melbourne and regional hubs to staff and volunteers of Victorian museums and galleries on preventive conservation and environmental sustainability practices. Workshop participants will gain the tools and knowledge to reduce energy use, save money, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve lighting facilities, reduce the risk of collections to light and ultraviolet damage, and position their organisation as a local leader in sustainability.
The Green Museum Project training program has been designed to complement the Museum Accreditation Program (MAP). Training is open to all museums and galleries operating in Victoria with priority given to MAP-Accredited and MAP-enrolled organisations. Participants will be trained on how to:
- Conduct an energy and lighting audit to establish baseline measures.
- Measure and adjust exhibition and display lighting to meet conservation standards.
- Ensure long-term preservation of collection material through object rotation schedules.
- Create and implement an Environmental Sustainability Policy.
- Design an Action Plan for sustainable operations.
- Improved environmental performance and image.
- Staff trained for continued sustainability improvement activities.
- Environmental awareness and basic understanding of sustainability issues within the context of the cultural heritage sector.
- Identification and evaluation of possible solutions and alternate technologies and methodologies to increase organisational sustainability.
- Assistance with long-term preservation of collection material.
MAP-Accredited and MAP-enrolled organisations that undertake the training workshop will be eligible to apply for funding provided by MA (Vic) to make improvements to exhibition spaces. The Project Manager will help museums with these improvements, alongside other MA (Vic) staff and external museum lighting experts.
Training Dates and Locations
- Monday 15 August 2016 | Yarra Ranges Regional Museum
- Tuesday 23 August 2016 | National Wool Museum
- Monday 5 September 2016 | Sovereign Hill Museum
- Monday 12 September 2016 | Warrnambool Art Gallery
- Monday 17 October 2016 | Benalla Historical Society
If you have any questions about the project, please contact:
Simone Ewenson, Manager, Green Museum Project
Telephone: (03) 8341 7512