A museum working towards Accreditation can expect to:
- Draw on training, support and advice through Museums Australia (Victoria).
- Develop and improve procedures, policies and practices to meet MAP standard. Model documents are provided.
With support from the MAP Managers, a museum working towards Accreditation will be given between two and three years for self-assessment and preparation to:
- Put together a formal, written application based on a provided questionnaire.
- Receive an on-site assessment by a MAP Panel of industry experts.
- Receive a formal MAP Assessment Report.
- Address key recommendations from the Assessment Report.
Following an official offer of MAP Accreditation, museums:
- Attend a formal presentation and are presented with a MAP Accreditation Certificate.
- Receive a MAP package to help promote the Accredited status.
- Make an ongoing commitment to maintain and improve standards at the museum.
- Have a Re-Accreditation Assessment every five years.