Resources & Publications
MA (Vic) has a variety of resources available to assist you in your museum practice.
- Infosheets - short factsheets on topics of museum practice (see right column)
- Templates - developed through the Museum Accreditation Program include a Forward Plan, a Collections Policy and an Interpretation Policy template
- Resource documents - such as the National Standards for Australian Museums & Galleries and the Small Museums Cataloguing Manual
- Practical Online Training - a series of instructional videos providing tips on caring for and providing access to museum collections.
- Publications - such as the Exhibition books and INSITE Magazine
- Suppliers & Consultants lists
See below for templates developed by the Museum Accreditation & Exhibition Services Programs. Additional Model Documents are available to museums participating in MAP and to MA (Vic) members on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us to discuss your needs.
- MAP Forward Planning Template (doc file, 262kb)
- MAP Collection Policy Template (doc file, 332kb)
- MAP Interpretation Policy Template (doc file, 239kb)
- Exhibition Templates from Exhibitions: a practical guide for small museums & galleries
Small Museums Cataloguing Manual - 4th Edition
The Small Museums Cataloguing Manual (4th edition) is the industry-standard reference for community museums wishing to start or develop their collections cataloguing. This essential practical tool is FREE to download below. > More information about the manual here
The Small Museums Cataloguing Manual - Full Publication (pdf file, 1MB)
Cataloguing Worksheet (pdf file, 19kb)
StandardFacilitiesReport2.pdf ( pdf file, 4MB)
National Standards for Australian Museums & Galleries
MA (Vic) staff are members of the National Standards Taskforce who have developed the National Standards for Australian Museums and Galleries. The document provides standards, tips and resources in all areas of museum practice.
The National Standards for Australian Museums and Galleries Version 1.3 have been developed by the Taskforce in consultation with the national museum sector and were updated in May 2013.
Significance 2.0 outlines the theory, practice and many applications of the concept of significance in collection management. Available online and as a PDF Download.
This kit explains how to bring in a qualified Conservator as consultant to work up a plan with museum staff. A useful tool for community museums applying for project funds through Heritage Victoria’s grants program.
MA Conservation Plan (pdf file, 163kb)
Museum Suppliers List
This list aims to assist Victorian galleries and museums of all kinds in sourcing
suitable equipment and materials. It includes some national as well as state suppliers
because some supplies are highly specialised and only provided by a few businesses.
Museum Suppliers List
Our Consultants’ Register is:
- open at no cost to consultants wishing to add their details
- a free service for Museums Australia (Victoria) members
For more information, contact Caroline Deighton on (03) 8341 7344.
Disaster Response Protocol
Community museums and public art galleries now have the Arts Victoria's Disaster Protocol to draw on. This can provide quick assistance with up to $5,000 towards disaster recovery expenses.
Living with Your Local Council
A paper Chris Brophy presented at the Regional and Remote Stream of the Museums Australia National Conference in 2004. Living With your Local Council ( pdf file, 73kb)
Marketing Victorian Museums: Summary Report
Developed by Chris Brophy, 2002. Marketing Victorian Museums ( pdf file, 171kb)
If experience difficulties viewing the PDF files, you can download the latest version of the Adobe Reader free of charge from Adobe